Sylvan Learning Centre

Currently, I work at Sylvan Learning Centre where I have the privilege to help children overcome learning obstacles and achieve their goals. This direct experience with children every week has demonstrated to me the importance of approaching youth interactions with positivity, enthusiasm, and respect to build supportive relationships. It has also provided how rewarding teaching is. It is so incredible to help students achieve their goals and surpass learning obstacles after they have been working on a concept.

Summer Camps

I also have plenty of experience working with kids in summer camps. These roles have demonstrated to me the importance of having fun with kids and partaking in activities that get them excited! This summer, I plan to work at summer camps again to gain even more experience with kids and apply my learnings from the education program to a recreational setting. For example, I would like to focus on positive relationships, providing kids with some autonomy in what they participate in, and also utilize my lesson planning skills to organize a fun day at camp for the kids!

Field Experience

In the fall, I visited a Grade 1 classroom at Lochside Elementary School for my field experience. Through this experience, I developed a love for primary grades and discovered various ways in which I would like to approach teaching. After each week, I wrote notes and ideas that stood out to me and I plan to keep these to reference as I prepare for practicum and my career. Some of my major learning experiences during these classroom visits were the importance of being positive and enthusiastic in the classroom, the critical role relationships play, and how outdoor education can have an impact on student learning. Each week I visited, the class walked to McMinn Park and spent time exploring the outdoors. This was a highlight of the students’ week and they were able to take their explorations into the classroom for a well-rounded learning experience. In a PHE environment and in the normal classroom, this is something I would like to emphasize.

P.S. Photo in this post is by Jess Bailey on Unsplash.