Dance

I have been a dancer for about 8 years. In high school, I trained competitively in jazz, ballet, tap, hip hop, contemporary, and music theatre. Since high school, I have been participating in dance classes for enjoyment. Dance has always been a passion of mind and it has been an opportunity for me to participate in creative expression. This past year, I have not been able to attend dance classes too much; however, I recently accepted a role of a dance class instructor starting in June, and I am beyond excited to share my passion for dance with others!

When I decided to pursue a career as an elementary school teacher, I developed a dream of starting an elementary school dance club. I would love to share my passion for dance with students, as well as create a space for all students to have the opportunity to express themselves. I hope to be able to make this happen during my teaching journey!

Here are a few of my favourite photos that demonstrate my love and passion for dance!

Spending Time Outdoors

Another one of my favourite things to do is spending time outside. I love going on hikes and exploring areas that I have never been before! Going on adventures with my friends and family, as well as enjoying the beauty of nature, is something that brings me comfort and relaxation from the busyness of everyday life. Before COVID19, I also enjoyed travelling, as well as gaining new knowledge about different cultures and areas around the world. I always love to participate in any opportunity that involves going on a trip or adventure!

Staying Active

Another thing I enjoy is staying active! Whether this be taking my dog for a walk or attending a yoga class, I love doing activities that keep my body healthy and moving. Staying active is a great way for me to take a break from my normal schedule and have an opportunity to de-stress. Some of my favourite things I do every week to stay active are going on hikes or walks, attending yoga classes, or participating in workout classes.

How can I bring my interests into my teaching career?

As I mentioned above, I would love to share my passion for dance with my students. To do this, I would like to start a dance club for students who would like to engage in an activity that will allow them to share their creative expression.

In a PHE environment, I would also enjoy incorporating yoga and mindfulness throughout the year. Incorporating yoga can benefit students in so many ways. For example, it can improve their flexibility, strength, and also teach them ways to cope during social emotional conflicts.

I would also like to bring in ideas of exploration and spending time outdoors. I can incorporate this through nature walks or creating lessons that allow students to explore their surroundings. When I consider bringing exploration into my teaching practice, I like to think about the First Peoples Principles of Learning. The following principle explains the importance of experiential learning, as well as connectedness to one’s surroundings:

“Learning is holistic, reflexive, reflective, experiential, and relational (focused on connectedness, on reciprocal relationships, and a sense of place).”

I think incorporating nature and time for exploration is really important for a students’ learning journey, and I look forward to incorporating this into my classroom activities (both with PHE and in the classroom)!

http://www.fnesc.ca/first-peoples-principles-of-learning/